Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The every so ready Squirrel



FIGURE 1: Squirrels can always be caught with food in their hands.
Having rarely encountered animals outside of zoos, I found it difficult and exhausting to find my totem animal. However, I was determined to find the animal that most represented me and that I could share a spirit with. I did the exercise presented in the course packet, the exercise with music in class, searched my past, the internet, and my surroundings for clues, and did multiple quizzes online but it only led me to become even more confused as I came up with several responses to what my answer should be. Over the course of my life I’ve gone from being a colt to an eagle to a grizzly bear to a turtle to a butterfly to a longhorn to a panther but still none of them seemed describe who I believe I truly am. These animals have been part of my life for several different reasons but they always seem to have been forced upon me by some outside source. However, my research indicates that to find your totem animal you must let it come to you and not the other way around. Finally, as due date approached and I laid in shavasana pose breathing in and out with my eyes shut in complete relaxation the answer came to me- a squirrel. It entered my mind not because I see them everywhere on campus but because if I really think about the characteristics of a squirrel as well as my own I realize that there are several similarities.
From the time I started my college education here at UT, I’ve thought of squirrels simply as rodents with bushy tails who constantly cross my path and scare me as they creep around in the shrubbery. However, after researching their way of life I have come to admire them for the little things that make them unique and intelligent creatures. These small mammals make up 365 species and seven families with the three biggest families are the ground, flying, and tree squirrels[1] Because there are so many different types of squirrels it only makes sense that they would have some differences, some squirrels hibernate during winter, the size of different species varies, and natural habitats span worldwide. However, squirrels have plenty of similarities with one another. In general, they are considered the cleanest rodents. Squirrels, upon reaching adulthood, prefer to live alone marking their territory with the sweat glands on their feet. Squirrels teeth continuously grow throughout the year and are kept sharp and clean by chewing on branches. To maintain healthy activity, squirrels need about a pound of food per week. Squirrels communicate with each other through chirps and tail movements as well as other almost ritualistic movements during mating season. A squirrels’ automatic reaction to danger is to freeze in place then climb the closest object. The lifespan of squirrels is about six years though this is frequently cut short by automobiles. I’m mentioning a few facts that make squirrels unique because I can relate to squirrels through these things.



FIGURE 2: Squirrels immediately freeze upon hearing a sudden noise.
While most of the things mentioned above might seem inapplicable to humans, I have found that these things can describe me. My family is huge just like those of squirrels and though we vary widely in several factors, we still seem to share so much more than just our genetic makeup. Like squirrels, I’d prefer to be alone and have my boundary set so that others do not trespass. I’m very clean, I borderline OCD when it comes to my hygiene; for example, like squirrels I’m very conscious about my dental care almost to the point of being an obsession. Sadly, I cannot eat the way squirrels can but I truly love food as much as they do, constantly snacking on anything to help me stay energized for my daily routine. The use of nonverbal communication helps me communicate effectively with those around me especially considering that I am shy and though squirrels are not I have acquired there extensive use of cues to relay messages. One of the final things I found to have in common with squirrels is that I have continuously found automobiles trying to cut my life short and therefore have developed a dislike of them. While I’m different yet oddly similar to squirrels characteristic traits, I find even more connection to the powers squirrels provide as a totem.
As a totem animal, squirrels embody several traits. These traits can be seen as both positive and negative. Sitting anywhere on campus, it’s easy to see that squirrels always active. As squirrels scurry around fulfilling their daily tasks, they seem to have an endless supply of energy that I can only dream of obtaining after two energy drinks. It is in squirrels’ nature to maintain a naturally active state and be productive. This however might be a downfall because their actions might be rushed or done wrong. Squirrels remind people that sometimes one must slow down, relax, and just enjoy whatever it is they might be doing. Squirrels are consistent gatherers and are always prepared for the future, reflecting the ideas of conserving energy and other important resources for the future.[2] Squirrels are extraverted creatures; they love interaction, they enjoy the company of their peers and people as well. They constantly want to play and communicate with those around them; however their chatter a causes a disruption of the peacefulness in the world. This interruption symbolizes the chaos of life and represents the necessity to clearly speak and get messages across to others through all the clutter that the world has.[3] Squirrels embody what it means to trust others; this is portrayed by their ability to accept food from human hands without fear. Squirrels are simple creatures relating perfectly to the straightforward traits that they portray as totem animals and I, too, find that same connection.



FIGURE 3: Rocky J. Squirrel is one of few famous squirrels.
The basic qualities of squirrels’ as totems accurately portray who I am. Like squirrels, I constantly keep busy. It’s never intentional; it just seems to occur as I rush to finish assignments or as I start on a future homework assignment early because there’s simply nothing else for me to do. When I look back, it hasn’t always been to my advantage for me to remain busy; at times it’s been the cause of extremely negative situations. I’ve done assignments wrong and forgotten important aspects of my projects leading me to the conclusion that time off is necessary not just to rest and be able to feel refreshed every time a new task is started but also to avoid confusing the two. Relaxing also allows one to enjoy life and see it as more than a just a task, life is much more than that as my new found squirrel friend has taught me. Another thing I have in common with squirrels is that I’m constantly preparing for the future by gathering what I see as essentials in life. With graduation right around the corner, it’s become almost a daily habit of mine to think of the future. With these thoughts continuously running across my mind I can’t help but work hard and make sure that things that I had planned for when I began college are now falling into place for my future. College and growing up are not the only reasons that I have chosen to prepare for my future and gather all my essentials. As a child I was not always blessed with the basic necessities of life, it’s made me learn to store extras around the house so that nothing is missing now or in the future. I am always prepared when anything runs out and though it drives some people crazy it makes me happy to be prepared. Unlike squirrels, I’m introverted most of the time but when I come out of my shell I love interaction with others. The chaos of the world is constantly on my mind and with the help of my squirrel totem (and yoga) I’ve learned to tune it out and just focus on what I need to say. I’ very curious about everything and nothing, not even being shy, ever stops me from asking questions. The clutter that so much noise has caused in the world does distract me but soon I get back on track and get my message across. Squirrels’ trusting of others fascinates me immensely. The ability for such tiny creatures to be able to approach giants and accept food without any suspicion of possible danger is truly admirable. The optimistic perspective that squirrels take towards life and those in it inspires me to do the same. In a world where so many horrible things happen daily it’s hard to see the good in people but when looking at squirrels it gives me hope that maybe there are more good people out there than I expect. The basic traits that are contributed to squirrels are all so extensively connected to me that I’m so glad I was able to find my totem animal.
My appreciation of squirrels has not always been the case. It wasn’t until recently that I realized how special these creatures were. My association to a creature this amazing is one of pure luck, I can only hope to truly embody what the totem represents in the future but for now I will do my best to use my connections to the animal to make good decisions in life.



FIGURE 4: Squirrels are loving animals





Word Count: 1566

1. "History ." Squirrel Place . http://www.squirrels.org/history.html (accessed February 6, 2010).

2. "Squirrel ." Animal Totems . http://linsdomain.com/totems/pages/squirrel.htm (accessed February 6, 2010).

3. "Cycle of Power Animal Totems ." Sayahda. http://www.sayahda.com/cyc4.html (accessed February 6, 2010).

Figure 1: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://beaconwm.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/squirrel-eating.jpg&imgrefurl=http://beaconwm.wordpress.com/2009/05/19/what-squirrels-can-teach-usaboutinvesting/&usg=__tE6IM6NjK4tGMFNobOZTNttHpzw=&h=768&w=1024&sz=230&h
l=en&start=64&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=0yE0ASU1mkVdM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsquirrels%2Beating%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B3GGGL_en___US344%26sa%3DN%26start%3D54%26um%3D1

Figure 2: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/8377/cutesquirrels32eh9.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.zuzafun.com/cute-squirrels&usg=__NILubyldXUVbqbpeZOh7MKYfiA0=&h=654&w=500&sz=48&hl=en&start=2&itbs=1&tbnid=YkuT0siOHuom_M:&tbnh=138&tbnw=106&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcute%2Bsquirrel%2Bpictures%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den

Figure3:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://addictedtovinyl.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/450_rocky1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://addictedtovinyl.com/blog/tag/stereo-dictator/&usg=___LYOoB-mDOHKnSb4bOa4_wKgoMw=&h=340&w=450&sz=46&hl=en&start=10&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=hVRSSoMVqT_8NM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drocky%2Bj%2Bsquirrel%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B3GGGL_en___US344%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Figure 4: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/8377/cutesquirrels32eh9.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.zuzafun.com/cute-squirrels&usg=__NILubyldXUVbqbpeZOh7MKYfiA0=&h=654&w=500&sz=48&hl=en&start=2&itbs=1&tbnid=YkuT0siOHuom_M:&tbnh=138&tbnw=106&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcute%2Bsquirrel%2Bpictures%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den

No comments:

Post a Comment